26 October 2010

Retired : Sony Walkman

Sony has just recently announced that they will officially stop the production of 'portable cassette tape players' or the 'walkman' as we all know it. While we all listen to our music collection of a lifetime using a tiny thing we can clip to our shirt collars in the present day it should not be forgotten how 'music on the go' started. I remember when i got my first walkman in the mid 70ies that looked similar to the one above and how hyped i was listening to my music while my mum was nagging about my dirty clothes not being in the hamper. I remember the clunky buttons and forward/ reverse that sounded like i was about to shredder my tape (which happened on a few occasions). I even 'customized' my walkman at some point, hand-painting it bright red. Unfortunately some of the paint got on the magnetic head and playback sounded like the whining of a stray cat. That was the end of my first walkman and the start of newer and better devices to be used.
Amazing piece of tech it was back then. AJ

1 comment:

  1. I could never afford one, only afford to look at one...too bad you still don't have yours!

    ReplyDelete