08 December 2010

reality commerce

Life imitates art..or how did that go again ? F1 honcho B. Ecclestone was recently mugged off his 200 grand watch while the thieves left a gentle 'thank you' note in his face. He then thought it was a brilliant idea to use his battered mugshot for promotion with the tagline 'see what people do for a Hublot' to promote an equally expensive watch. Initially I thought it was quite a quirky idea, but then.....wouldn't it remind me that the chances to be mugged and beaten are higher the more expensive my watch is and wouldn't my face in an ad for Swatch look much healthier ? To me this ad looks like 'buy a Hublot to guarantee stitches in your face and look like a corpse for a couple of weeks' -especially when you are a very rich old man.

No comments:

Post a Comment