30 December 2010

the future of air travel


Oh yes, the glorious days of air travel are over : Forget the smiling and friendly ladies behind the check-in counters. Instead one is being yelled at for not having the brainy means to figure out their computer glitches at the electronic check-in machines (which almost never work..). Then me and my bag are being scanned (whichever comes first) only to be ousted in front of other weary travelers because i left that damn disposable lighter in some side pocket of mu bag. My bad ! Ahmm.. imagening that I am sitting on thousands of gallons of fuel any spark could do whatever my lighter is suspicious of (or I might stab that annoying flight attendant with it). After body and body temperature scan, my passport is scanned and then my fingerprint scanned and then of course also my eyes and perhaps brain volume. By the time I reach the duty free shops the only thing that hasn't been scanned (yet) is my credit card. They know where I live, where I want to go, when I will be back and ... how I look naked.
Given all this scanning with ever evolving technology, why are flights still delayed, service crappy and people crammed into this old-fashioned flying sausages ? Do they just want to know who we are and check on us using air travel as an excuse ? No longer that far fetched I think, but on the other hand I am looking forward to the day when a body scan can actually teletransport me to the destination where I want to be. Saves fuel too. AJ

1 comment:

  1. Firstly the person behind the scanner is finally smiling because he / she gets to officially leer at humans...but you're right it seems we're scanned from the moment we get our boarding pass right until we land. And yet, nothing has changed or become more efficient, more recently there were 8 airport security people placed in the corridor toward the flight entrance for a United flight to the America. Their job was to hand check each persons carry on baggage while a GI Joe glared at all passengers suspiciously. I mean seriosly, why do they stop scanning at all? There should simply be a constant scanning machine around us through this captive phase of our transportation. And lastly, yes, I agree, if they don't start teletransporting us from door to door - there's going to be a new phenomenon - Flight Rage...!

    ReplyDelete